Older Persons Service
Life for many older people is a time of contentment and reflection. However as we age, we are faced with new and potentially difficult challenges, including health challenges.
Inpatient Unit (Ramsay Unit)
The 15 bed Ramsay Unit specialises in the assessment, care and treatment of older patients with mental health conditions.
The Ramsay Unit provides specialist clinical care in a supportive environment. Inpatient treatment programs are tailored for each patient according to their specific needs, from the broad range of resources available to the Unit. Families and carers are encouraged to be involved in the care plan.
The Ramsay Unit offers a cohesive multidisciplinary team of health professionals:
- Consulting Psychiatrists (who specialise in Older Persons Psychiatry)
- Registered Nurses
- Occupational Therapist
- Clinical Psychologist
- General Medical Practitioner
- Social Worker
Inpatients also have access to visiting professionals, such as a Geriatrician, other Physicians, a Neuropsychologist, Physiotherapist and Dietician.
Seniors Day Program
The Seniors Day Program is designed for older patients who would benefit from ongoing or interim support for a mental health condition.
The Seniors Day Program provides emotional support, psycho-education and skills training, to assist patients to optimise their functioning and enjoy a fulfilled life.
Structured groups include:
- Cognitive activities focussed on memory and concentration, decision making and problem solving.
- Exploring issues relevant to the older person (including aging, retirement, adjusting loss and change).
- Developing and maintaining old person’s wellness, remaining active (including falls prevention), accessing community support and maximising independence in social and domestic settings.
- Stress management, mindfulness, relaxation training and anxiety management strategies.
The Seniors Day Program is offered two days per week.
The Albert Road Clinic Outreach Service supports the specialist psychiatry services for older patients.
The aim of the Outreach Service is to provide community based therapeutic support and clinical assessment and care, which assists older patients to manage their illness and maintain an optimal level of health.
For all enquiries about accessing services at Albert Road Clinic please call 03 9256 8322.
Making a Referral
Healthcare professionals should direct all referral and admission enquiries to our EasyAccess Service via telephone 1300 251 243 from 8:30am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday.
Referrals can be faxed directly to 03 9256 8361.
Download the brochure