The Albert Road Clinic Outpatient service provides specialist psychiatric services that do not require staying at the hospital. As an outpatient, you will visit your Doctor for a single or series of appointments. The number and frequency of appointments will be decided by you and your doctor. Albert Road Clinic has several Psychiatrists on site who offer outpatient services.
For all enquiries about accessing services at Albert Road Clinic please call 03 9256 8311.
What should you know as an outpatient at Albert Road Clinic?
The Psychiatrists offering outpatient services at Albert Road Clinic work from their own private Practice even though they all operate under the Albert Road Clinic and Ramsay Healthcare culture of “people caring for people”.
Psychiatry is a diverse discipline. Every patient is unique and no two people have the same story or psychiatric presentation. Psychiatry has its own sub-specialties and your Doctor will specialise in some or many of these sub-specialities.
For these services, you are responsible for the full cost of your treatment, however Medicare and private health insurance rebates may apply. You should ask the specialist for their fees and rebates before you have treatment.
How to book an appointment
To book an outpatient appointment you must have a referral from your General Practitioner. Your GP will send the referral to Albert Road Clinic where it will be reviewed and circulated to doctors with expertise in the area where you require assistance. Once your referral has been accepted you will be contacted to book an appointment.
Before your first appointment
- Confirm the location of your appointment
- Ask your Doctor or their Practice staff about appointment costs, billing and the payment methods they accept.
- Check if there are any scripts, forms or documents you must complete and bring these along to your first appointment
- Plan the questions you need to ask your Doctor and write them down to bring with you
- Allow as much extra time as you can to arrive in case of traffic or parking difficulties etc. Check out How to Find Us.
Please note, each outpatient Specialist Practice at Albert Road Clinic has its own processes for things such as billing, record keeping, and cancellations so please ensure that you clearly understand what these are and how they may apply to you. Each doctor has a document outlining their specific processes. This will be sent to you prior to your first appointment. If you do not receive this information, please contact the doctor’s consulting suite for information.
At your first appointment; Clarify any concerns:
- Arrive about 10 minutes before your appointment to check-in at the reception desk. Staff will check your details, ask to see your Medicare or pension card and direct you to the waiting area.
- While appointments are for a set time, delays can occur. If there are any delays, clinic staff will keep you informed. Other arrangements can be made if you are unable to wait for your appointment.
- Remember, it’s important to talk to your Psychiatrist and it’s ok to ask any questions about your treatment; at any time
- Bring a list of all the current medications (including any natural therapies) you take, and any other documentation requested by the Doctor
- Ask your Doctor how many appointments you may need for your treatment, the timeline for these (every 2 weeks? every month?) and their estimated cost
- Ask your Doctor about appointment cancellations and changes at your first visit. If you can’t make your appointment or need to reschedule, call your Doctor’s consulting rooms as soon as possible and organise the cancellation or change. There may be cancellation fees if you leave it too late.
What to expect
As an outpatient at Albert Road Clinic, you will receive a holistic and individualised treatment plan developed with you in a partnership with your Doctor.
At your initial appointment, your Doctor will commence an assessment process. A written report containing a diagnosis and management plans for treatment will be developed and provided to the referrer.
Shorter term consultation treatment plans or a diagnosis
You will receive a treatment plan which includes an appointment or appointments to be conducted over a shorter period of time. Your Doctor will determine exactly what this will entail and the treatment you require.
Longer term consultation treatment plans
You will receive a treatment plan which includes multiple appointments over a longer period. Your Doctor will determine exactly what treatment you will require. This will be unique to you.
For all enquiries about accessing services at Albert Road Clinic please call 03 9256 8311 and choose:
- Option 1 for Consulting Suites once referral accepted or;
- Option 6 for Outpatient Referral Enquiries